Friday 2 October 2009

Behind the - Dark Knight - times

OK, I'll admit I'm at least a year behind everyone raving about how great Heath Ledger is in "Dark Knight".  I've been a fan of Ledger's since "10 Things I Hate About You" (I'd obviously stopped watching Neighbours before he was in it).  And yes, it almost goes without saying that he blew my mind in "Brokeback Mountain".

But I had little expectation about his portrayal of the cartoon-esque Joker character in "Dark Knight".  I'm also a fan of Jack Nicholson, and I'll be the first to say that Nicholson absolutely rocked the role of The Joker ten years earlier. However, Ledger freakin' kicked arse in "Dark Knight", his presence completely blew me away.

Morgan Freeman is absolutely gorgeous as Lucius as is Michael Caine.  But it is Lucius' quote that sums up the movie for me:

"Let me get this straight:  you think that your client – one of the wealthiest most powerful men in the world – is secretly a vigilante who spends his nights beating criminals to a pulp with his bare hands… and your plan is to blackmail this person.  Good luck."

Heath Ledger's untimely death is a loss, as is the demise of too many people who come to an untimely end due to mental health issues.  His ability and charisma should be an inspiration to others.  Rest In Peace Heath.

KangaRue

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!