Sunday 20 September 2009

Anyone for Bugs?

Bugs Bunny that is...

Lulu and Hermes are posh cats - they get fresh food: rabbit four ways as well as fish and chicken.  Rabbit is not something I've ever eaten before, but I was inspired by Browner's Hare Three Ways.  So when doing my last order of rabbit I decided to order some for BoyWonder and me to eat for a change.

Bagging up rabbit offal surprisingly didn't turn me off cooking dinner!  I'll spare you photos of that. ;)

I'm happy with the results, though I forgot to include both our home-grown shallots, and the yorkshire pudding - well, it is a Sunday roast after all.  But the home-grown potatoes were delicious.  I wrapped the rabbit in prosciutto to keep it moist after stuffing with garlic and basil.  Next time I might try thyme.  Corgettes (zucchini) and carrots finished off the meal which was well complemented with a South African pinotage.  I won't be swapping beef or lamb for rabbit in a hurry, but I'd definitely try it again.  Would you be game?!

Cheers, KangaRue

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good. Are you planning to make anything rabbity with the bones and legs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just got the saddle for us - the chunks & bone-in pieces currently go to the cats (tho I love the sound of your ragout & pate). Perhaps I'll raid theirs and leave them the mince (bone-in) and offal - both of which are not for human consumption. Told you they were spoilt cats!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!